Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Side Dish

Happy Easter!



I hope everyone is having a wonderful Easter so far and I'm sure many of you are spending the day with the family. I am preparing for an Easter get-together with the family and am in need of a quick and very easy side dish to prepare so I can spend more of my time getting ready. I don't have much since I am in need of a grocery shopping trip but I do have a generic store bought box of mac and cheese. After quickly raiding my kitchen cabinets and fridge I found some food supplies to throw together with my store brand mac and cheese to make a spruced up nearly homemade dish.



Cheez-it baked Mac and Cheese
 
Ingredients:
Any type of boxed Mac and Cheese (I have Publix brand)
1/3 box of Cheez-its (flavor of your choice. I happen to have Baby Swiss since its my favorite but a lot of people seem to like Cheddar as well-get creative and mix flavors if you'd like)
1 cp Milk
4 tbsp Butter and an addition tsp or so of butter to coat the casserole dish for non-sticking
1/4 cp All-Purpose Flour
Black Pepper
1 cp Cheddar cheese
 
Cooking Instruments:
1 small pot
1 large pot
Mixing Utensil
Strainer
Casserole Dish 

1. Boil the noodles from the boxed mac and cheese according to packaged directions in a large pot, normally for 8-10 minutes. Use butter or PAM spray to coat the bottom of the casserole dish while the noodles are boiling. After the noodles have reached their desired tenderness drain and then place into the casserole dish.

2. In a small pot over low heat melt the 4 tbsp of butter, mix in flour and then increase the heat to medium, add in the milk stir frequently, add the cheddar cheese and cheese sauce from inside the store brand mac and cheese box and heat until partially or fully melted into the mix. Sprinkle pepper to taste into the mix. Pour mixture over noodles in the casserole dish.

3. Place about 1/3 of the box of Cheez-its into a ziplock back and crush into whatever size pieces you desire (I just used my hands and squeezed the bag a lot creating various sizes). Spread the crushed Cheez-its on top of your mac and cheese.

4. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

Now I can focus on getting ready and when my oven timer beeps all I will have to do is just cover my casserole dish and take it with me for everyone to enjoy!
This recipe does not take very long especially if you pre-heat the oven while boiling your noodles.
 
Let me know if you have any other tips and tricks for sprucing up a box of mac and cheese or if you have any tips to make this recipe taste better!

No comments:

Post a Comment